Mar 12, 2014

the no-poo adventure

Once they get beyond the name of this movement of sorts, I see some of my friends laughing and saying that this solidifies my hippiedom. But really, it wasn't my idea. It was James' idea, shockingly--he who swore by daily hair washing. For me, it seems like a convenient way to go about what I am already doing by default. The exhaustion of sleep-deprived motherhood has long been my excuse for less frequent showers, and I have always left at least a couple of days between hair washes, as my hair is a curly, dry mop. But I am intrigued by the idea that forgoing shampoo altogether re-balances the scalp, and after a possible less than pretty adjustment phase, creates a beautiful head of hair. As I am meticulous about what goes in and on my body, it's also an exciting idea that I can skip scowling at  shampoo ingredient lists while muttering to James about the travesty of the unregulated beauty industry. No doubt, this is exciting to him, as well.

There are many schools of thought when it comes to "no-poo", as it's (unfortunately?) called. Some swear by washing with a baking soda dilution, and rinsing with apple cider vinegar. Some advocate water only. And there are those with especially curly, dry hair who go the conditioner only route. I'm leaning towards the latter, with occasional baking soda and apple cider vinegar cleansing. I intend to document this little adventure, so here we are at week 1. It's been two days since my last wash, and so far, no change. We'll see how I've fared one week from now. Wish me luck!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...